Monday, May 23, 2005

Amy's swimming lesson

My legs feel like I climbed ten mountains yesterday instead of just two. Must have been all that walking backwards to help them down, and careful stepping to help them keep their balance. Kanji is fine, but reckons he will feel it tomorrow. Nevertheless I went swimming, just a gentle 600, including 100 breaststroke, which I haven't done for ages.

Amy had her last 5:30 swimming lesson today, as of next month we are switching to 4:20. We only joined the 5:30 group so she could be with her kindy friends, who have now both left. It will be sad for Lena - who has made friends with a boy her age, another younger sibling forced to watch boring swimming for an hour. They both bring toys and play together.

But I will be glad to see the back of the annoying kid in Amy's class who teases us for speaking English! It was okay at the beginning, and I was patient, friendly and talked to her in Japanese, explained where I was from, and taught her a few English words. This method usually works to get bamboozled kids used to me. But this girl just wouldn't let up, mockingly repeating what we said, or going on about how she can't understand, and why do we speak English, and where do I live, and where am I from etc, etc, etc, so that last week, Amy finally whispered conspiratorially in my ear 'Don't speak English!'. She knew what would come if she did. And I don't want Amy to be ashamed of speaking English

The main reason we are changing is because the time is too late, I prefer the earlier time, then I can drive straight from kindy to swimming, then go home for tea, but I must admit an added extra is to say sayonara to that little pest.

No comments: