Sunday, May 01, 2005

There were various food stalls - and that's about it. Kind of a matsuri-in-the-making. It's been going only about 5-6 years I think, put on by the Lions Club, of which Jiichan is a member.

We were greeted by a man giving out balloons, who asked where we were from, obviously in reference to me, but Baachan replied "From the city". Even when he corrected himself and specifically refered to me, she just answered "she's my daughter-in-law". That question, "Where are you from?" can get so annoying. Not offensive, after all I am clearly a foreigner, but it can be jarring when you were just going about your business and you are suddenly reminded what a freak you are.

We were given a free Korean pancake by the gas people. Yum - batter mixed with a vegetable called Nira, which in kind of like spring onion, and garlic and flavoured with a chilli sauce. We had several coupons (well we did after I drove all the way back to get them cos I forgot them) and used them to buy ice creams, and fried chicken, and curry for lunch, and popcorn and puffed rice and candy floss and drinks.

We watched some dancing, Bon odori, a kind of public dance where people make a big circle and walk around stepping forward and back, and making hand movements and clapping. Just as we left a monkey show had begun, but he was such a pitiful looking creature that I was pleased when Amy and Lena lost interest when the trainer's monologue went on a little too long.

No comments: