Tuesday, May 17, 2005

Dentist

We took Lena to the dentist today. For a while now, we have been worried about her front teeth. The dentist in January put on some stuff that went black on contact with the air, which I agreed to because I wanted to get the bacteria killed. He said it would fade in time, but it didn't.

Then I found out that there is such a thing as pediatric dentists, so Kanji found one, coincidentally just around the corner, opposite Youme Town. I hadn't known because although I had seen a dentist there, and the name, the 'pediatric' bit is not written large or obviously.

He was very nice, and explained that he would remove the cavity by drilling (eek!) and place a cap over the tooth, although it will not be like an adult's cap, basically just gum, which may fall out, and we'll have to keep getting it replaced, but only until her baby teeth fall out of course.

He also cleaned off some of the black from the medicine, and then gave her a practice session so she would not be so frightened by the drilling. They used a water spray that made the same noise as the drill, and also put in the vacuum, with a pink cap just for her, and let her play with it. Another thing they did was, before they did anything in her mouth, they first did it on her hand, so she could SEE what was happening and understand before it was put in her mouth. I remember thinking, I wish my dentist would do that! Sometimes I catch a glimpse of the wierdest instruments heading towards my mouth and the oddest sensations inside.

Wish us good luck for Thursday when the real drilling begins!

No comments: