Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Double Day Off

Since Lena still had a fever at bedtime and Amy woke up with a bad cough, I decided to keep them both at home today. Okay, and maybe a little bit of it was the fact that not having to do the double-kindy round...

Turns out they are both quite happy and healthy. So they spent the morning playing then we went to Baachan's for lunch, after which I went to my Higashi college class. They were in a fine mood today, I was a bit tougher with getting them to shut-up while I was talking which they responded to very well. We had pair and whole-class activities today so I did not put them in groups. I don't know how much that helped cos the rowdiest two groups sit near each other anway, and tended to turn around and lean over their chairs to gossip anyway!

Today at Wakachan's we cooked a tofu dish. Simmered in a 10/1/1 mix of dashi (fish stock) mirin and sake, with a dash of soy sauce. Also in it were shimeji mushrooms and spring onion. It was nice, but I think if I cook it again I will add the ginger slices and dried red chilli that Wakachan left out because of the kids. It needed a bit of a kick. She also told me to cook it longer because the tofu didn't take up as much flavour as it should have.

The girls watched Princess Mononoke, a very famous Japanese cartoon, but couldn't make head or tail of it. And it was a bit scary, so each time Wakachan came out to cook, Amy would be in within about five minutes to drag her back to watch it together (and answer her endless questions)

No comments: