Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Erica

I'm up late updated my iPod with the UK's top ten and some BBC podcasts in preparation for another three hours in the car tomorrow. Good thing I don't mind driving! I am getting worried about what's going to happen when we arrive.

I've been reading up about palm burns in children and what they say pretty much agrees with what our doctor said, that it's generally okay if the wound heals under three weeks - our doc said two - either way, Erica's out of that cohort. After three weeks, the liklihood of sequelae is...100%. That means scarring, or the fingers curling up or needing a skin graft. Tomorrow we're getting some kind of splint or cast that will hold her hand and fingers flexed back so the growing scar tissue doesn't cause her to lose function. So you can see why I'm a little worried. Let's hope it ends here, and this treatment results in a cleanly healed hand with full function and minimal scarring, because there will be scarring.

3 comments:

Sara said...

I have my fingers crossed that she'll make a complete recovery with as little outside help as possible!!

You must be so stressed out!! Sending relaxation and healing vibes your way.

Lulu said...

I am with Sara!

I have my fingers crossed and I really hope that all goes well tomorrow and that the news is good!

Best of luck

Rachel said...

Thank you Sara and Lulu! It worked out okay today, but it looks like it's still going to be a long uphill battle to get it completely healed